Here’s a simple coconut ice cream recipe that’s dairy, gluten, soy & egg free, and sweetened with pure maple syrup. So happy with how this ice cream turned out! It’s incredibly smooth, creamy, and decadent with just the right sweetness! I think canned coconut milk is my favorite ingredient of all! So versatile and can be good in savoury and sweet applications.
- 2 cups Canned Coconut Milk (full fat, not light)
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Grand Marnier or other hard liquor (optional – helps prevent ice cream from freezing too hard, making it more “scoopable”, also makes the flavour more complex)
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum (optional – helps thicken the mixture and prevent ice crystal)
- Prepare your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions – I used the Kitchenaid Ice Cream Maker Attachment and froze the bowl overnight.
- Mix all ingredients in a high speed blender or immersion blender until well incorporated. Refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Churn the ice cream mixture according to manufacturer’s instructions until it reaches a consistency similar to soft serve ice cream – for the Kitchenaid Attachment I churned the mixture for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a freezer friendly container and freeze for at least 4 hours before serve (or eat the “soft serve” straight up!! So good!)
- Optional ingredients for other flavours: I added lime juice & zest in mine, you can also add vanilla bean/ cocoa powder (need to add more coconut milk)/ toasted pecan/ peanut butter & jam/… the options are endless!
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can use this recipe to make ice cream popsicles (aka. Fudge Pops/ Fudgesicles!)
- This recipe is modified from https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/coconut-ice-cream-recipe/