Sharing a good banana muffin recipe that I found on the Mama Knows Gluten Free blog! Such a nice base for GF muffins that are as good as the “real deal”.
*Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.*
- 2 large or 3 medium very ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter, or 1/3 melted coconut oil or Smart Balance butter for dairy-free option
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free 1:1 flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, leave out if your GF flour already has it in it
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 2 large eggs, beaten (or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce for egg-free option)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, or 1/2 cup chocolate chips & 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Use dairy free chocolate chips if desired
Here’s a Dairy free/ Gluten free/ Nut free/ Vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips option available on Amazon!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare the muffin tin with liners or baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth.
- Add the baking soda and stir to combine with the mashed bananas. Allow the mixture to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir the melted butter (or melted coconut oil for dairy-free) into the mashed bananas.
- Stir in the sugar (or pure maple syrup), salt, beaten eggs, and pure vanilla extract.
- Mix in the gluten-free flour, cinnamon, dried lemon peel, and xanthan gum (leave out the xanthan gum if your flour already has it).
- Gently fold in blueberries or chocolate chip & nuts.
- Scoop the batter into baking cups lined/cooking sprayed muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 °F, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool. Enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
I froze these for a quick snack/breakfast. And when ready to enjoy, just blast in the microwave for about 30 sec (or until the chocolate chips are a little melty) and they’re just like fresh!